PRESERVATION pioneer 2ft gauge Peckett 0-6-0ST Jurassic is to return to service on the Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway in 2017 after a third of century out of action.
Built in 1903 in Bristol by Peckett and Sons as works number 1008 for the quarries and cement works of Kaye & Co in Southam in Warwickshire, together with similar locomotives named after prehistoric geological periods, it was bought by the Lincolnshire line in 1961.
In 1958, the LCLR made preservation history by being the first to be built on
a green field site, using equipment from Nocton estate potato fields railway, south of Lincoln.
Land for the railway at Humberston near Cleethorpes was leased from Grimsby Rural District Council and opened in 1960 using a Motor Rail Simplex locomotive and a single open bogie carriage.
The line also became one of the first heritage railways to offer ‘real’ – as opposed to tourist or enthusiast – transport, linking the bus terminus at Humberston with the local beach and holiday camp.
Read more in Issue 224 of Heritage Railway – out now!