The Mid Hants Railway (MHR), popularly known as The Watercress Line has been in operation for more than 40 years and is one of the country’s leading heritage railways.
Based in the market town of Alresford in Hampshire, the MHR operates a 10-mile railway, with intermediate stations at Ropley – home of their extensive locomotive engineering works, and Medstead & Four Marks, culminating at Alton, which offers main line train connections to London. The railway is one of the top visitor attractions in Hampshire.
There is a rare and exciting opportunity for an experienced business leader to join the Mid Hants Railway as General Manager.
Enjoy more Heritage Railway reading in the four-weekly magazine.
Click here to subscribe & save.
- Provide commercial and operational oversight of the railway on a day to day basis.
- Take a lead role in the development and implementation of strategies to safeguard the MHR’s position as a major tourist attraction and secure its long-term commercial sustainability.
- Identify and secure additional revenue streams for the railway, through active marketing and stakeholder relations.
- Uphold safe working practices across the business and ensure compliance with health and safety regulations.
- Actively promote collaboration within and across departments through effective communication and optimise the contribution of the volunteer workforce.
- An extensive track record of business and financial management, ideally with experience of the heritage and tourism industry and/or working with charitable organisations.
- A team player who is able to build relationships and motivate across all levels.
- A sound knowledge of Health and Safety regulations and their application in a safety critical working environment.
- A strong communicator, with extensive experience of stakeholder engagement and hands on people management. Excellent written and oral presentation skills.
Further information on the railway can be found on our website www.watercressline.co.uk
To apply or to request an informal discussion please contact Alison Houghton at [email protected]. Applications require a CV and a covering letter.
Enjoy more Heritage Railway reading in the four-weekly magazine. Click here to subscribe.