A FORGOTTEN platform beneath Glasgow Central station may be developed into a railway heritage museum – complete with a steam train parked on a stretch of relaid track.
The platform, which closed 55 years ago, dates from the opening of the station’s low-level section in 1896, when it operated as a separate entity to Glasgow Central, which was opened by the Caledonian Railway in 1879.
When the entire complex was redeveloped between 1901-5, the low-level platforms were incorporated into the main station.
Enjoy more Heritage Railway reading in the four-weekly magazine.
Click here to subscribe & save.
The subterranean lines were part of an urban railway running through a tunnel beneath the city centre. However, the low-level station closed under Beeching in October 1964, but the other platforms were restored as a single-island platform when the popular electrified cross-city Argyle line reopened in 1979.
However, the still-derelict platform remains out of sight of the travelling public.
Read more in Issue 252 of HR – on sale now!
Enjoy more Heritage Railway reading in the four-weekly magazine. Click here to subscribe.