With a selection of five GWR nameplates, supported by six GWR cabsides and five smokebox numberplates from named locomotives, GW Railwayana will be living up to its name at its March 16 auction, although both the LMS and Southern Railway get a slice of the action.
The five GWR nameplates are Wardour Castle and Neath Abbey from Nos. 5066 and 5090, Binnegar Hall and Oakley Hall from Nos. 4904 and 5936, and Ditcheat Manor from BR-built No. 7821.
The two Castle class locomotives were built at Swindon in July 1937 and April 1939 respectively, and were both withdrawn from Old Oak Common (81A) in 1962. No. 5066 was renamed Sir Felix Pole in April 1956, in commemoration of a former GWR general manager who had died in January of that year.
Enjoy more Heritage Railway reading in the four-weekly magazine.
Click here to subscribe & save.
Nos. 4904 and 5936 were built in December 1928 and July 1933 and withdrawn from Taunton (83B) in December 1963 and Gloucester Horton Road (85B) in January 1965, and No. 7821 emerged from Swindon in November 1950 and ended its days at Shrewsbury (6D) exactly 15 years later, in November 1965.
The LMS representative is Madras from Jubilee No. 45575, built by North British Loco in September 1934 and withdrawn from Burton (17B) in June 1963, and the SR contender Kenley with its RAF badge from SR Battle of Britain No. 34068.
This Pacific, named after an RAF wartime base in Surrey, entered traffic from Brighton works as No. 21C168 on the cusp of Nationalisation in October 1947 and was withdrawn from Salisbury (70E) in December 1963.
Read more in Issue 251 of HR – on sale now!