THE Cleethorpes Coast Light Railway has boosted its diesel fleet with the acquisition of 0-6-0DM Rachel.
Built in 1959 by Guest Engineering, Rachel was originally designed for the Shillingstone Light Railway as a 10¼in gauge locomotive, but was eventually completed as a 15in gauge machine.
Rachel is best known for running between 1961 to 1984 at the Fairbourne Railway, where it was often tasked with hauling the catering van to the line’s Barmouth Ferry terminus during the start of the operating day.
When the Fairbourne was regauged to 12¼ in, Rachel moved to the Haigh Hall Railway near Wigan.
Read more in Issue 249 of HR – on sale now!