THE Talyllyn Railway has launched an appeal torestore the line’s original locomotive watering point at Ty Dŵr betweenAbergynolwyn and Nant Gwernol.
Before the locomotive shed and workshop opened at Tywyn Pendre in 1867, the railway’s first locomotive shed was at Ty Dŵr, just above Abergynolwyn village on what was known as the mineral extension.
Here, a waterfall supplied water to the locomotive and even when the shed fell out of use, locomotives continued to take water here when they shunted wagons between Abergynolwyn station and the base of the first incline to the Bryn Egwlys quarry, at what is now Nant Gwernol station.
Enjoy more Heritage Railway reading in the four-weekly magazine.
Click here to subscribe & save.
The watering point continued in use for nearly 90 years, before the slate pillars were demolished and the slabs reused to build a retaining wall at the site of a major landslip at Dolgoch in 1955. Later alterations were also made to the site to enable passenger trains to travel through to Nant Gwernol in the Seventies.
For many years there have been discussions about restoring the watering point. Now the railway has announced plans to build as close a replica to the original facility as possible at the site.
Read more in Issue 249 of HR – on sale now!
Enjoy more Heritage Railway reading in the four-weekly magazine. Click here to subscribe.