By Hugh Dougherty
AN independent museum in Dalbeattie, which has played its part in keeping the town’s railway heritage alive, is celebrating its silver jubilee.
Volunteer-run Dalbeattie Museum Trust opened in 1993, and put on show items salvaged from Dalbeattie station on the Dumfries to Stranraer line, which were rescued after the railway closed in 1965.
Enjoy more Heritage Railway reading in the four-weekly magazine.
Click here to subscribe & save.
Exhibits on show include the last stationmaster’s hat, a model of an LMS 2P 4-4-0, a train staff, pictures and tickets, and the builder’s plate salvaged from the now-demolished Urr Viaduct outside the town – beautifully restored and dating from the bridge’s reconstruction in 1886.
Non-railway exhibits include domestic appliances, agricultural machinery and a display on RMS Titanic, as first officer William Murdoch was born and educated in Dalbeattie, while the museum hosts an archive of steam traction engines.
Read more in Issue 246 of HR – on sale now!