THE TALYLLYN Railway has launched an appeal to restore the only coach still operational from fellow 2ft 3in gauge line, the original Corris Railway (CR).
While the full extent of the work required will not be known until the panelling is removed, it is expected to cost in the region of £20,000, including labour. Once funding is in place, it is estimated the task will take around six months.
The 22-seater was built in 1898 by the by Metropolitan Carriage and Wagon Co in Birmingham and was one of the last two coaches built for the CR. It was made redundant when passenger services were withdrawn by the GWR, which had acquired the CR in 1930.
The carriage, No. 8 and sister No. 7 were sold to a GWR official and moved to his home in Gobowen, near Oswestry, Shropshire. No. 7 was turned into a chicken coop and No. 8 became a summerhouse/greenhouse.
In 1958, the coaches were located by the TR. No. 8 was bought and moved to Tywyn in 1959, where the bodywork was restored. A new chassis and running gear were made in the TR’s Pendre Works. The restored coach was painted in brown CR livery with ornate gold leaf grecian lining and with original CR crests surrounding the TR running number 17.
Read more in Issue 246 of HR – on sale now!