THE restoration of the Scottish Railway Preservation Society’s Stanier 8F has reached another stage.
The tender tank on Bo’ness-based TCCD No. 45170 (WD No. 554) has been lifted off the tender chassis. The tank has already been cleaned out and the coal hole has been repaired and painted. The wheelsets are now due to be sent for retyring after being cleaned.
The journals and horn guides will also be inspected and repaired as necessary – and the frames will be stripped back prior to painting.
The tender axles have been ultrasonically tested for cracks with all found to be sound. The front buffer plate will need to be replaced due to cracks and historical damage. Although in sound condition, the drag box will need its locating rivets renewed as at some time in its past, it has had a heavy shunt with damage to the rivets evident. The general condition of all the frames is remarkable, with no corrosion evident at all.
Built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow in 1942, the 2-8-0 was loaned by the Ministry of Supply to the LMS, before being converted to right-hand drive and shipped to Turkey in 1943. After returning to the UK in 2011, it was on display at Shildon.
Read more in Issue 246 of HR – on sale now!