The Keighley & Worth Valley Railway’s (KWVR) locomotive department has outshopped its second closely related Class 2 locomotive, with BR Standard 2-6-0 No. 78022 undergoing its initial steam tests and running in during early September, following closely behind its half cousin, red-liveried Ivatt 2-6-2T No. 41241.
Built at Darlington Works in 1954, No. 78022 was withdrawn from Lostock Hall in Preston, where it was removed from British Rail service in February 1967. No. 78022 was bought from Barry scrapyard in 1975, and was returned to service in 1993. It proved to be a popular locomotive, later withdrawn for a 10-year overhaul at the end of 2000, and was moved to Oxenhope for display inside the exhibition shed there.
In May 2014, it was moved back to Haworth for preparations for an overhaul, which started in early 2015 following the completion of No. 75078.
The boiler was lifted out of the frames in March 2015 and the wheels removed the following year. Nos. 78022 and 41241 are likely to be the mainstay of KWVR traffic for the next few years.
Work has now started on the overhaul of WD 2-8-0 No. 90778.
Read more in Issue 246 of HR – on sale now!