ONE of Britain’s lesser-known heritage railway venues, Twyford Waterworks near Winchester, held a narrow gauge gala on June 3.
Volunteers at the Edwardian clean water pumping station have recently returned one of their three Babcock & Wilcox water tube boilers to steam to power the 1914 Hathorn Davey triple expansion steam pumping engine.
The waterworks had a small narrow gauge railway system that was used to transport quarried chalk to kilns for conversion to quicklime which was used in the water softening process, via an incline railway on which the wagons were hauled by hydraulic winch.
Enjoy more Heritage Railway reading in the four-weekly magazine.
Click here to subscribe & save.
Coal was also transported by wagon to the boiler house, the wagons being manually moved.
In 1985, the Twyford Waterworks Trust was formed and volunteers extended the 2ft gauge railway system so that their collection of diesel, petrol and electric locomotives could be demonstrated on the public open days.
Read more News and Features in Issue 244 of HR – on sale now!