Tyseley to mark 50 years of open days

TYSELEY Locomotive Works – a rare and precious bolthole for standard gauge steam following its end on the national network in 1968 – is to celebrate 50 years since its first open day.

On September 29, 1968, Tyseley Depot opened its doors to the public for the very first time with a display of steam locomotives, traction engines and the like.

Replica Beyer Peacock works engine Tali will make its public debut at Tyseley’s 50th anniversary open weekend on September 28-29. MICHAEL WHITEHOUSE

Now exactly half a century later, over September 28-29, the venue is aiming to recreate the atmosphere of that original event.

Back in 1968, the first steam locomotive preserved at Tyseley, 4-6-0 No. 7029 Clun Castle was in operation. Having returned to steam last year, it will again be a star attraction at the anniversary event. There will be a host of additional attractions, including historic miniature railway locomotives rarely seen in public and fairground rides,
such as a steam-powered carousel built in 1893.

Read more in Issue 244 of HR – on sale now!

Enjoy more Heritage Railway reading in the four-weekly magazine. Click here to subscribe.