THE ‘dream pairing’ of blue-liveried Caledonian Railway survivors 812 class 0-6-0 No. 828 and 493 class 0-4-4T No. 419 will be the highlight of the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway’s November 2-4 autumn gala.
Dubbed the ‘Caley Reunion’, the ‘must see’ event will see 1899-built No. 828 brought from the Strathspey Railway to run alongside No. 419, which is nearing the end of its overhaul with a return to steam pencilled in for June, after being out of action for eight years.
Built at St Rollox Works in 1907, No. 419 is the flagship of the Scottish Railway Preservation Society, and was the first inhabitant of the society’s Falkirk shed in April 1965.
In April, the cab front and rear spectacle plates and the cab roof were refitted. The mechanicals are complete and the boiler cladding installed, the water tanks and backhead fittings were to be fitted after we closed for press.
When No. 419 re-enters traffic, it will be sporting the lighter shade of Caledonian blue livery – known as Perth blue – which will be a marked change from the darker Caledonian blue that it previously carried.
No. 828 last returned to traffic after heavy repairs in March 2017. Earlier this year, Bachmann Europe announced the release of Branchline OO scale models of No. 828 for Rails of Sheffield, following an agreement being reached with the Caledonian Railway 828 Trust. It is available in five liveries – Caledonian Railway blue (as preserved); Caledonian Railway blue livery (as originally built), as No. 17566 in LMS black livery, as No. 57565 in BR black, early emblem livery (weathered) and as No. 57566 in BR black with the late crest.
Read more and see more images in Issue 241 of HR – on sale now!Enjoy more Heritage Railway reading in the four-weekly magazine. Click here to subscribe.