THE restoration of Barry hulk BR Standard 4MT 2-6-0 No. 76077 has begun at the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway.
Chris Hinton’s locomotive has been extracted from Toddington’s north headshunt where it languished on wagons for 30 years since it became the 186th locomotive to be saved from Dai Woodham’s scrapyard.
It has been placed in the car park, where a tent has been erected over the frames, wheels and boiler and the lot shot blasted and painted.
Enjoy more Heritage Railway reading in the four-weekly magazine.
Click here to subscribe & save.
The frames are to be sent to Loughborough for assembly of the components and Chris has around 95% of the parts needed. The engine has no tender but there are plenty of suitable ones around.
Seeing the engine in steam is still years off but the boiler is in very good condition.
No. 76077 was outshopped from Horwich in December 1956 and entered traffic from Sutton Oak between St Helens and Widnes. In August 1967 it hauled a Locomotive Club of Great Britain brake van tour of lines around Warrington and Widnes. It was withdrawn in December that year and arrived at Barry in September 1968.
It was the subject of several preservation attempts before it moved to the G/WR in May 1987.
Read more News and Features in Issue 238 of HR – on sale now!