The world’s sole surviving operational steam railmotor is now up and running.
Comment on our videos: register or login to add your comments to our video features below.
GWR railmotor No 93 was unveiled to members of owning group the Great Western Society on the Llangollen Railway on 21 March.
Restored to as-built 1908 condition both internally and externally, and painted in the GWR’s original coach livery of crimson lake, it took guests from Llangollen to Carrog where society chairman Richard Croucher gave a speech thanking everyone who had turned the 15-year project to rebuild the railmotor into reality.
During the following three days, it featured in a series of private photocharters on the line, where the body was restored.
The railmotor will be publicly unveiled at Didcot Railway Centr eon 28 May.
Railmotor No 93 was built at Swindon in 1908 to Diagram R, Lot 1142, as one of 35 virtually vehicles ordered by the GWR between September 1905 and February 1908.
It was initially allocated to Southall shed and was later reallocated to other depots including Bristol, Croes Newydd, Chalford, Gloucester, Stourbridge, Taunton and Yatton.
No 93 was condemned as a railmotor at Swindon on 19 November 1934 and was converted into auto trailer No 212. The auto trailer was condemned in May 1956, but instead of being scrapped was converted into a ‘work study coach’ with the BR internal user number 079014.
It became used as an office in Birmingham, and was bought by the GWS in 1970. The restoration project was launched around 14 years ago.