Antiques expert opens new Ravenglass museum

BC’s Antiques Roadshow expert Paul Atterbury was scheduled to open the new Ravenglass Railway Museum on Saturday, June 24.

The museum will open to the public from 3pm, after Paul, the author of numerous railway history books, has performed the official opening.

The longest vehicle in the museum’s collection, a 1927 coach, being prepared for display. RER

A nine-month redevelopment of the project gained £488,700 of Heritage Lottery Funding in September 2015, along with matched funding from the Copeland Community Fund, the Fisheries Local Action Group, the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway Preservation Society and the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway itself.

The museum was opened in 1978 in one of the Furness Railway platform buildings and housed a collection of artefacts which had been accumulated around the centenary of the RER.

The collection consists of more than 6000 items, ranging from the 15in gauge Bassett-Lowke locomotive Synolda through to models, tools and remnants of one of the original 3ft gauge line’s coaches, plus an extensive archive of around 5000 photographs, tickets, timetables and other ephemera.

Read more in Issue 230 of HR – on sale now!

Enjoy more Heritage Railway reading in the four-weekly magazine. Click here to subscribe.