Cape Government Railways locomotive no.390 arrived at the National Railway Museum, following a journey by road from where it was previously displayed in Locomotion in Shildon.
It was moved by specialist contractors Allelys Heavy Haulage at night to avoid disruption, as it involved the temporary closure of the Leeman Road tunnel.
The photo above shows the 4-8-0, 3′ 6”gauge Cape Government Railways locomotive and tender outside the National Railway Museum. Numbered 390, the wood-burning locomotive, has an eight wheel, double-bogie tender and was built by Sharp Stewart & Co in Glasgow in 1896 for the Cape Government Railways, later South African Railways.
Enjoy more Heritage Railway reading in the four-weekly magazine.
Click here to subscribe & save.
The rail move is the latest in a series of others to have taken place as the museum prepares for its Vision 2025 masterplan.
Other rail moves saw the arrival of the Beattie Well Tank from Shildon and the redisplay of the Skinkansen and Eurostar power cars.
Enjoy more Heritage Railway reading in the four-weekly magazine. Click here to subscribe.