THE National Railway Museum has gifted a standard gauge wagon to a 2ft 6in gauge line.
The Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway is now the proud owner of the 1925-built GWR five-plank open wagon No. W108246. The York museum has made this vehicle available as part of a rolling stock collections review.
The heritage line intends to display the wagon at Welshpool Raven Square station in order to demonstrate the transhipment of goods that took place between the railway and the main line
in pre-preservation days.
Standard gauge wagons were once common beside (although not on) the WLLR. At the interchange with the main line at Welshpool station, the light railway had exchange sidings over which goods were transhipped between the two railways. The former cattle docks still exist, complete with a short section of mixed-gauge track, and Welshpool Town Council is planning to restore this area as a historical exhibit.
Read more in Issue 224 of Heritage Railway – out now!