By Hugh Dougherty
THE Royal Chartered Institute of Surveyors has presented Caledonian Maritime Assets Limited with its Scotland Infrastructure award for its sensitive £1 million restoration of the timber walkway connecting Wemyss Bay ferry terminal with Wemyss Bay station.
The grade A listed walkway, completed in 1903, along with the ornate Caledonian Railway station, both designed by Scottish railway architect James Miller, once channelled thousands of passengers from the boat trains from Glasgow Central on to the CR steamers for Rothesay.
Today, it still serves the same function, train to ship passenger transfers, with the station being served by regular, electric trains to and from Glasgow.
CMAL has repaired the glass roof, fitted replica lights, restored the woodwork and painted the structure in its original CR station building colours to match the railway station.
Read more in Issue 230 of HR – on sale now!Enjoy more Heritage Railway reading in the four-weekly magazine. Click here to subscribe.