Historic Wolverton Works: the end has begun

THE demolition of historic Wolverton Works began in July, signalling the end of 179 years of history.

The works was built in 1838 by the London & Birmingham Railway at the mid point of the 112-mile route between the two cities.

Site clearance at Wolverton works on July 17 reveals a capstan wire rope. PHIL MARSH

The redevelopment on the disused two acres of land at the east end of Wolverton Works commenced on July 10, and the end result will be a discount supermarket opening in 12 months’ time. This is the first phase of the works’ demolition which lies 100% within a designated Conservation Area – that was not enough to save the buildings.

Demolition contractors moved on site to break up the floor and track of the 1860’s built carriage, wagon and repairs shops.

In the first few days of breaking up the cement floor, they dragged out rails and other railway items dating back to Victorian times, including a thick metal rope probably used to haul stock in and out of the shops via a capstan. Some of the workforce took pictures of their work saying that it was a historic location, but nonetheless they had a job to do.

A detailed planning application is expected possibly by the end of 2018, which if passed will see the works vanish completely in five years’ time.

Read more News and Features in Issue 231 of HR – on sale now!

Enjoy more Heritage Railway reading in the four-weekly magazine. Click here to subscribe.

Comments

comments