A 1959 tube stock driving motor vehicle, donated by London Underground to the Epping Ongar Railway, has been delivered to North Weald station.
The carriage, No. 1031 previously in the Northern Line depot at Morden, had to be moved as part of a major upgrade project and was donated to the heritage line by the Underground. Brought by low-loader from Morden, it was unloaded in a complicated procedure using two cranes.
It will be placed on permanent display at North Weald as an added attraction for visitors and will become a small museum showing the history of the line and displaying London Transport memorabilia.
The Chipping Ongar branch was opened by the GER in 1865, mainly to take agricultural produce from the nearby farms into central London. London Underground services took over the operation of the line from BR on September 29, 1949, and electrified in November 1957, when tube trains replaced steam.
Read more in Issue 242 of HR – on sale now!Enjoy more Heritage Railway reading in the four-weekly magazine. Click here to subscribe.