24 April 2013
MARKING the 75th anniversary of sister A4 streamlined Pacific No. 4468 Mallard’s world record steam run, No. 4464 Bittern has been given special dispensation by Network Rail to run three trips at 90mph over the East Coast Main Line.
- Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railway Steam 150 UK Tour continues
- 'The Elizabethan' express recreated to celebrate 60th anniversary of HM Queen's coronation
- Golden weekend as Llanfair line marks 50 years of preservation
- Bluebell opening: The essential videos to watch
- Beeching: find out what really went on!
- Vintage Trains to recreate the 'Cheltenham Flyer' - Saturday, May 11
- Remembering the last Heaton tram
- Take a trip down memory lane this Easter at Great Central Railway's vintage festival
12 April 2013
The entire heritage sector is celebrating after one of its biggest obstacles of all has been overcome, and Bluebell Railway trains are at last plying their trade in and out of East Grinstead. In a special landmark feature, Robin Jones looks at the fruits of a 54-year determination that the line should never die, and the opening of the £12 million northern extension.
Other Feature Articles
CLOSING DATE: Friday, 31st May 2013
TWO superb new railway books are on offer in this issue's star prize competition. We have five copies each of Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway by Andy Stansfield, and that enthusiast's bible, the 2013 edition of Railways Restored, for you to win in our easy-to-enter competition.
17 January 2013
Two years of meticulous planning finally bore fruit on Sunday, January 13 when a complete Victorian teak train was hauled by Metropolitan Railway E class 0-4-4T No. 1 from Kensington Olympia to Moorgate. The seven-and-a-half-mile trip exclusively carrying VIP guests was the first of a series of groundbreaking public steam trips through the London Underground tunnels, marking the 150th anniversary of the world’s first tube network, as Robin Jones reports, in the second part of a feature which began in Heritage Railway issue 172, on sale on January 17.
Current Issue: May 9, 2013
The complete steam news magazine
♦ Flying Scotsman crisis: engineer breaks silence
♦ B1 Mayflower surprise: main line debut
♦ Full coverage 'Great Britain VI'
♦ A4 90mph tickets selling fast
♦ The secret Great Central on HS2!
♦ Engine derails at GC gala
♦ Red Prairie set for steam back on the Met!
♦ Win two great railway titles
• Next issue on sale: June 6, 2013