AFTER 20 years of trying, the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Trust has bought a house which blocks its way to the west.
The trust has just completed the purchase of Fairview, a three-bedroom detached house, which stands at Parracombe Halt, and is the key piece of the land acquisition jigsaw in the planned extension to Blackmoor.
The purchase, which has removed one of the biggest obstacles in the heritage railway portfolio, means that the trust and sister Exmoor Associates now own all the trackbed between Woody Bay and Parracombe Halt.
Fairview was built in 1911, 13 years after the L&B opened, as a wedding present for the village postman. His father, who lived down the lane, had helped build the railway and continued to work for it afterwards.
Read more in Issue 222 of Heritage Railway