WORK on upgrading the Narrow Gauge Railway Museum at the Talyllyn Railway’s Tywyn Wharf station has begun after the Heritage Lottery Fund awarded £42,700 to the project.
Following the grant aid award, physical work on improving the exhibits and displays started immediately, with a projected completion date of March next year.
In addition to refreshing the museum’s current collection and displays, the money will be used to enhance the museum’s latest acquisition, Fletcher Jennings 0-4-0T William Finlay. The plan is to make the locomotive’s footplate accessible to visitors while the engine will face out of the museum behind a new up-and-over door that can be opened on sunny days.
William Finlay, which was built to the rare gauge of 3ft 2¼in for the Dorking Greystone Lime Company in Surrey was bought in 2015. Much of the track from the quarry line came to the Talyllyn for reuse in the 1950s, with some of it still in use today.
It is intended to cosmetically restore William Finlay and display it in the museum, where it will take the place of 1897-built Manning Wardle 0-4-0ST Jubilee which, as reported in our last issue, has moved on loan to the Penrhyn Quarry Railway at Bethesda, its home in its working life.
Read more in Issue 223 of Heritage RailwayEnjoy more Heritage Railway reading in the four-weekly magazine. Click here to subscribe.