TALYLLYN Railway 0-4-2ST No. 3 Sir Haydn returned to passenger service on May 14, the 67th anniversary of the line becoming the world’s first preserved line.
No. 3 was built at Henry Hughes’ Locomotive & Tramway Engine Works at Loughborough in 1878 and has been out of service since 2012, and from 2015 has been undergoing an overhaul at the Vale of Rheidol’s workshops in Aberystwyth.
The former Corris Railway locomotive, which at the end of April this year celebrates its 140th birthday, has been going through a period of testing and running in.
The first heritage-era Talyllyn train was run from Tywyn Wharf station to Rhydyronen on May 14, 1951. An annual event, known as Founders’ Day, includes a re-enactment of the cutting of the tape originally performed by the first chairman of the Talyllyn Railway Preservation Society Bill Trinder.
Sir Haydn did not participate in that first day, but had arrived at Tywyn by that time.
For this year’s celebration, No. 3 hauled a special train for some of the railway’s regular donors who are members of the Heart of Gold club, which provides additional financial support to the line.
Read more in Issue 242 of HR – on sale now!Enjoy more Heritage Railway reading in the four-weekly magazine. Click here to subscribe.