Royal seal of approval for two heritage lines

THE Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway welcomed the Princess Royal to its headquarters at the Skegness Water Leisure Park in Ingoldmells on Tuesday, April 25.

Princess Anne meets Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway officials and volunteers. BRIAN SHARPE

Princess Anne arrived by helicopter at 2.20pm to view the 2ft gauge railway’s progress. At the line’s recently extended Walls Lane station, she met the volunteers who are restoring the locomotives, wagons and carriages to running order.

She was shown a Class D bogie wagon built in Lincoln by Clayton and Shuttleworth for the War Department, in 1917, which has been transformed with the help of a £43,000 grant from
The People’s Millions National Lottery Fund and is now able to carry people with disabilities.

The Prince of Wales chats with Royal Deeside Railway staff and volunteers after donning a boiler suit to drive Barclay 0-6-0ST Salmon. The 1942-built engine spent its working life with Stewarts & Lloyds, at both Harlaxton and Woolsthorpe ironstone quarries. It was named in memory of HMS Salmon, an S class submarine that was lost with all hands in July 1940. RDR

After visiting the 2ft gauge railway, the princess was afforded a private tour of new developments and facilities in the park and what they offer the increasing number of holidaymakers and tourists visiting the Lincolnshire Coast.

She then unveiled a plaque in the park’s new reception building and chatted with staff.

Read more in Issue 228 of HR – on sale now!

 

Enjoy more Heritage Railway reading in the four-weekly magazine. Click here to subscribe.

Comments

comments