A plaque was unveiled on the site of Bundoran station at 2.30pm on Saturday, September 30, at the exact time and on the same date as the last passenger train left the station in 1957 for Bundoran Junction, bringing down the curtain on 91 years of railway operations in the County Donegal seaside town.
Paddy Martin retired that day and was last train’s driver, having started his railway service in 1915 at the station’s engine shed as a cleaner.
His daughter, Dympna Connolly, unveiled the plaque, after being given the ‘right away’ by a GNR whistle and guard’s, green flag, lent for the occasion by Iarnrod Eireann.
Mrs Connolly was joined by her sister May Granaghan, who also recalled their father driving the last train 60 years ago.
The event recalled the existence of the Atlantic coast holiday resort’s station, which opened in 1866, and closed in 1957.
It was part of the first Bundoran Railway Heritage Festival, organised by discoverbundoran.ie and Magh Ene Historical Society, which ran from September 29-October 1.
Read more in Issue 234 of HR – on sale now!Enjoy more Heritage Railway reading in the four-weekly magazine. Click here to subscribe.