‘Oldest’ line holds first open day

ONE of Britain’s smallest standard gauge heritage lines – which keeps alive the heritage of what is thought to be the world’s oldest public railway – has held its first open day.

Despite poor weather, the Llanelli & Mynydd Mawr Railway attracted 250 visitors to the Sunday, September 3 event at the site of the former Cynheidre Colliery near Llanelli.

Sentinel 0-4-0DH No. 10222 Peter J Griffiths gives brakevan rides along the restored section of the Llanelli & Mynydd Mawr Railway on September 3. It is currently used as the site’s yard pilot. LMMR

The event was formally opened by shadow secretary of state for defence and Llaneli MP Nia Griffith, who rode on the first passenger train to traverse the restored railway.

The day featured train rides using the railway’s brakevan and Sentinel 0-4-0DH shunter No. 10222 Peter J Griffiths. An exhibition was mounted within the site’s new heritage centre, with many of the original artefacts from the colliery displayed, describing the history of the route of the railway, which dates back to 1802.

The day also featured static displays of other items of rolling stock that are currently undergoing restoration at the site.

The first section of the original 4ft gauge Llanelly & Mynydd Mawr line, then known as the Carmarthenshire Railway, was opened in May 1803, and ran between Carmarthen Docks and Cwmdydyche (Furnace), being extended northwards by 1806.

Read more in Issue 233 of HR – on sale now!

Enjoy more Heritage Railway reading in the four-weekly magazine. Click here to subscribe.