Double Caledonian blues

By Brian Sharpe

Only a select few heritage railways are able to run a complete train of one of Britain’s pre-Grouping railway companies. One that can is the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway with its Caledonian Railway 0-4-4T and two CR coaches of similar vintage.

This year though, in addition to returning CR 0-4-4T No. 419 to service again after yet another overhaul, the railway hired in the other working Caley locomotive, the Strathspey Railway’s 0-6-0 No. 828, and staged a gala weekend featuring a double-headed Caledonian train over November 3/4.

No. 828 runs along the banks of the Firth of Forth past Bo’ness town centre with No. 419 on the rear on November 4. BRIAN SHARPE

The two coaches were originally restored by BR in 1958 to run with CR 4-2-2 No. 123 which is now in Glasgow’s Riverside Museum.

Brake Composite Corridor No. 464 was built in 1923. After BR declared it surplus to requirements, it was purchased by the Scottish Railway Preservation Society in 1968. It has been restored with its later number 7369.

Third Corridor No. 1375 was built in 1921. It was initially preserved on the Bluebell Railway in 1968, but moved to the SRPS base at Falkirk in 1974 to be reunited with No. 464.

Read more and view more images in Issue 248 of HR – on sale now!

Enjoy more Heritage Railway reading in the four-weekly magazine. Click here to subscribe.

Comments

comments