Off the shelf: 4 August 2011
Reviews this issue include:
• Little Peter’s Railway Surprise Goods
This month's book reviews by Heritage Railway.
From models to the real thing, you’ll find much to inspire you in our selection of good reads & DVDs.
If you have a title you'd like us to review, please drop the HR team a line from our contact page.
Little Peter’s Railway Surprise Goods
by Christopher Vine (softback, 32 pages, £2.99, ISBN 978 0 9553359 6 9)
The author’s hardback series of children’s railway stories is now familiar, this is one of a series of smaller softback books.
This one, only stretching credibility very slightly, tells of an electric train stranded by a power failure being rescued by a diesel which in turn also fails. Being not too far from York, salvation eventually arrives in the shape of record-breaking A4 Pacific Mallard no less, specially steamed by the museum authorities.
With several original watercolour illustrations, these are attractive productions and combine children’s entertainment with a degree of educational value as well.
Responses to “Off the shelf: 4 August 2011”
Current Issue: Feb 12, 2015
• Flying Scotsman to return in BR green!
• How to photograph the Llangollen Railway
• Sir Winston Churchill: Funeral train unveiled in York
• Pete Waterman in £1 million steam sale
• Spa Valley hit by second landslip
• Next issue on sale: March 12, 2015